Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Daily Life

Daily life is as exciting as you make it.  I have a will to do fun and exciting adventures which add extra excitement to this semester and life in general!  I will start with the basics though.  It gets a little chilly in the cabins, so having warm sweatpants are God send, but what else is God send are these amazing hot water bottles, and water boilers.  They have water boilers in the U.S., however, I had never seen one.  I use it all the time, I use it to make tea, coffee, and to put it in the water bottles.  Every morning I wake up about 8-8:30 and maybe go for a run if the motivation hits me.  I then come back and make coffee or tea and have toast, get ready for the day and go to class for four hours.  After class is when the self motivated adventures can begin.  Here are some things that are mostly a part of my daily life. 

Walks to Spiddal
   I love walking to Spiddal.  Every single time I walk the 25 minutes to get there, something fun or exciting happens.  For example, in these past four weeks, I have managed to trip over a dog, run into a pole, drop my fresh peppers in the road and get splashed by the cars speeding by.  When I say splash, I mean drenched.  I am very thankful for water proof clothing.



Adventures to the Ocean
  From coming from a state where the ocean is about a 30-40 hour drive, a 5 minute walk is refreshing.  There are two types of beaches that I have ran across here.  Sandy beaches are about a 20 min walk both directions. My favorite however, are the rocky beaches.  There are so many treasures to find in them!  If you like to climb, they are basically an adult playground.  I found several sitting rocks that overlook the water, which fit perfectly for when you need fresh air and time to think.  However, mind the black rocks, they are granite and very slippery.  Just ask my swollen Knee...  I also love picking up seashells or taking pictures of the seashells.

 
The cabin
I have three room mates!  They are great and we all contribute equally for the most part, to helping with cleaning, cooking and dishes.   I wasn't very good at cooking or confident, but now, with guidance from my roomies, I can successfully make delectable dishes with noodles, pasta, quiche, and rice casseroles!  They make awesome fries and other delicious food.  I get cabin fever often and to cure it, I go for a walk or run to the ocean. 

Daily life here is definitely a little bit more interesting than it is at home.    It has also taught me my love for china dishes, as we use them daily.

However, everything I have done from day to day has only taught me more about life and my problem solving skills have definitely been put to use.
















2 comments: