Thursday, February 4, 2016

New York City
Leaving a country is probably one of the most exciting and nerve-racking things that one who longs for adventure, could ever experience.  Then of course the fact that not only am I leaving the county, but I am leaving for three months.  After the three international flights I have experienced, its the process of arriving in the designated country that makes me the most nervous.  When I arrived at the Omaha airport, all the nervous energy quickly dispersed through out my body into a surge of excitement.  After saying goodbyes that quickly turned into see you laters, I confidently strolled down the ramp to take my luggage through security.  After getting a little acquainted with my new family for three months, we all boarded the airplane to Newark, New Jersey.  As we arrived at the airport, we flew by New York City and the statue of Liberty. After arriving, we waited for four hours and bought over priced airport food.  The flight attendant called us group by group onto the plane. Then BAM! 6 hours later, We had arrived on the emerald Island!  after arriving at our Lodge, we fought sleep deprivation and jet lag.  However, it soon over took us.  Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were much more productive!  Monday we took our first adventure to Spidal, which consisted of trudging through 80 mile per hour winds for 30 min. We saw a lot of beautiful buildings and enjoyed the feel of a new town.  Tuesday,  we ventured out on a twenty minute drive to the neighboring City of Galway.  It is an adorable medieval city with plentiful wool shops and pubs.  Experiencing so much history from hundred of years back is exhilarating. Wednesday, we took it easy and enjoyed some company with friends at a "family dinner" cramming 17 of us into one cabin.  We also took a night walk to the beach(rocky, rainy, wet beaches), watched one of the guys eat a live muscle, and walked to Spiddal(during the day).  Classes so far have been great. we have learned Hello, Please and Thank you, My name is, and How are you in Gaelic.  One interesting fact that I learned in my literature class was that the Irish are actually not originally red headed.  The Nordics or Celts, in which invaded Ireland, were red headed and the actual Irish people had dark toned skin and dark hair.  The people who live here are very kind and hard working.  The amount of information that I have learned is amazing and I am looking forward to making many more memories!


Buildings in Spiddal

Wool Shop in Galway




Walking around Spiddal
Walking to Spiddal


No comments:

Post a Comment