Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Week Dó. This is week two in Gaelic, well part of it.  We haven't exactly learned the word “week” yet.  I would look it up, but wifi is a little short this week. This week has been full of adventures! We haven't done much differently, except that we have done so much differently!  We drove to Galway Friday night to experience the nightlife.  I personally enjoyed people watching and observing the musicians.  I'm not one much for big crowds.  However, I enjoyed the Gelato which is basically ice cream on steroids. We also went to an Italian restaurant called Venice. Yes, literally named after the city. After stuffing our faces we wandered into a cute little shop where they had chocolate. In case you didn't know, I love chocolate.  Excuse me..I ADORE chocolate. So, I bought some. Then I ate it.  It didn't last very long.  After a long night of walking around downtown Galway and eating all of the food, we departed home in the taxi van.  The drivers name was Joe.  He was a kind fella.   Saturday morning, I headed back to Galway with my roommates to do some grocery shopping.  Grocery shopping is an adventure within its self. Especially with the fact that almost none of the brands we are used to, exist over here. That's okay though, I didn't come over here for the same experience as I would have back at home. When grocery shopping in Ireland, it is important to know that you have to pay for plastic bags, so we all used our backpacks.  After a while, you kind of get used to feeling like a pack mule. Sunday, we used to get some homework done and enjoy the cabin, as it rained all day, although, we did venture out in the morning to see the low tide.  We saw a star fish in a tide pool, so many snails and colorful shells, and a red baby fox.  Monday, Kendra and I walked to Spiddal and braved the cold. No matter how many times I walk to Spiddal, the ocean never seizes  to amaze me.  We ate our first true fish and chips, with hot chocolate. I had a Carmel mocha (same as the last two times). The woman who runs the shop, has gotten used to seeing our faces. We attempted to say thank you, and she kindly laughed as she understood the Gaelic in which we were attempting to speak. We found the perfect place to have coffee every time we venture two miles to town.. I picked up some peppers for supper and had to pick them up three more times because, one, they didn't fit in my back pack and two, I dropped them in the road three times on the way back.  Let's just say we literally had cracked peppers. Tuesday, we went to Galway again to go shopping. Also, it was Fat Tuesday which is Shrove Tuesday in Gaelic.  Which literally means you eat pancakes. We tried to find a place that served pancakes, but instead we craved fried chicken and fries. We found this place called Hillbillies. It definitely helped with small part of me that was home sick because there were two kind Irish men about my age, wearing plaid.  Definitely reminded me of Nebraska, minus the Irish accents. Wednesday, we had history class in the morning. We are learning about how this is the  centennial year of the Irish Easter uprising. Ireland went through a lot of grief and trouble to be in the place that it is now.   After class, Kendra and I walked to beach which is not even 5 minutes away, and climbed rocks.  Today was a rare occasion, as it was sunny for the first time this week. However, it still managed to sprinkle a little bit.  It is hard to believe it has been two weeks almost, as I am so in love with this place that it feels like it's been a life time!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment